I’ve been enthusiastic about photography these past eight months. (Why?)
- January – bought my first digital SLR camera; joined 2008: A Year in Pictures (which means one photo/day for 2008)
- February – bought a Canon EF f/1.8 II lens from Arnold
- March – sort of photographed at a Chiodos concert (photos)
- April – photographed a Finch concert at the Roxy without a photo pass (photos); photographed another Finch concert in San Diego, this time with a photo pass (photos); photographed Armer and Tracy (Arnold’s friends) for pre-wedding photos
- May – bought a Canon EOS 40D; Five Mile Town photoshoot (photos); my first paid event (photos); bought parts for and put together a new computer
- June – went to Hawaii and took a couple thousand photos (photos)
- July – photographed a Five Mile Town concert; participated in a peaceful photographers’ rights protest (photos)
- August – photographed a Rx Bandits concert with a photo pass (photos); bought a Drobo
In addition to all that, I’ve photowalked almost twenty times[1. with more than one person].
However, I need help addressing the following problems ASAP.
Currently, I have equipment worth over $2,000. If my camera/computer dies, or if I need more hard drive space, I don’t have money saved for that. I also don’t have money for additional hard drives – I’m currently using 188 GB just for photos and Lightroom catalogs. In addition, I’d like more lenses to expand my photographic abilities.
I’m a struggling student going back to school in January 2009[2. assuming Cal Poly Pomona accepts me], which means I’ll be getting a loan.
I’m in debt due to credit cards[3. not entirely my fault, it’s a long story that I don’t want to be public], which add up to at least $4,000.
Lastly, I don’t have an emergency fund or a savings account.
How you can help
- Buy some prints. I love compliments, but it won’t help keep me going if I don’t have funds for upgrades and new equipment.
- Request for photography services. I’ll do a photo session with you: portraits, family portraits (Christmas is around the corner!), senior portraits, events, or be a second/third photographer for your wedding[4. not enough experience to be the primary photographer – yet]. I also love band photography. I pretty much love portraits in general, can you tell?
Whether or not you’re able to help me monetarily, I really appreciate the love and support you’ve given me this past year. I won’t forget. You all inspire me to improve.