I’ve been enthusiastic about photography these past eight months. (Why?)
- January – bought my first digital SLR camera; joined 2008: A Year in Pictures (which means one photo/day for 2008)
- February – bought a Canon EF f/1.8 II lens from Arnold
- March – sort of photographed at a Chiodos concert (photos)
- April – photographed a Finch concert at the Roxy without a photo pass (photos); photographed another Finch concert in San Diego, this time with a photo pass (photos); photographed Armer and Tracy (Arnold’s friends) for pre-wedding photos
- May – bought a Canon EOS 40D; Five Mile Town photoshoot (photos); my first paid event (photos); bought parts for and put together a new computer
- June – went to Hawaii and took a couple thousand photos (photos)
- July – photographed a Five Mile Town concert; participated in a peaceful photographers’ rights protest (photos)
- August – photographed a Rx Bandits concert with a photo pass (photos); bought a Drobo
In addition to all that, I’ve photowalked almost twenty times[1. with more than one person].
However, I need help addressing the following problems ASAP.
Currently, I have equipment worth over $2,000. If my camera/computer dies, or if I need more hard drive space, I don’t have money saved for that. I also don’t have money for additional hard drives – I’m currently using 188 GB just for photos and Lightroom catalogs. In addition, I’d like more lenses to expand my photographic abilities.
I’m a struggling student going back to school in January 2009[2. assuming Cal Poly Pomona accepts me], which means I’ll be getting a loan.
I’m in debt due to credit cards[3. not entirely my fault, it’s a long story that I don’t want to be public], which add up to at least $4,000.
Lastly, I don’t have an emergency fund or a savings account.
How you can help
- Buy some prints. I love compliments, but it won’t help keep me going if I don’t have funds for upgrades and new equipment.
- Request for photography services. I’ll do a photo session with you: portraits, family portraits (Christmas is around the corner!), senior portraits, events, or be a second/third photographer for your wedding[4. not enough experience to be the primary photographer – yet]. I also love band photography. I pretty much love portraits in general, can you tell?
Whether or not you’re able to help me monetarily, I really appreciate the love and support you’ve given me this past year. I won’t forget. You all inspire me to improve.
7 thoughts on “I need your help”
You’ve only been at this for less than a year. Oh my god you kick my ass hard. Your stuff is amazing and your eye, your eye is incredible. I only wish I could commit so much to photography like you have. I’ll see what I can do to help since you are a talented guy who deserves the help to only get more awesome!
Wow, thanks Drew!
Why didn’t you kill the debt before going to get the equipment 😦
I got the windfall of cash to buy it and…yeah. I guess I’m a moron.
Bryan, your photography skills are great. Concerning your statement of having “not enough experience to be the primary photographer”, have you considered applying for employment on a per-job basis with a local professional photographer? Most event photographers hire (and train) their additional photographers on a per-job basis. I’m sure you’ll be able to find someone looking for an apprentice.
Thanks! I have a wedding lined up (as a second photographer) with someone in December, so hopefully that goes well and I’ll have a portfolio of photos to get the ball rolling.
I wish you luck then. From what I’ve heard, it’s a great way to get started in the professional industry.