While waiting for the Metro Gold Line at Union Station, Dave saw my camera in hand and approached me, asking if I wanted to take his photo.
Since I can describe the conversation like a moth in flight, bullet points might make more sense.
- He explained that he wasn’t mentally right. He was talkative and easy going.
- “I know the new Incredible Hulk movie. He has a special power,” which he then demonstrated as if he were generating a fireball or something.
- He talked about his brother who fought in Vietnam, but wasn’t receiving benefits. Somehow, that was a segue into him not getting SSI.
- “You know the Spiderman song?” *singing the Spiderman theme song* “I’m chicken man. Chicken man, chicken man…”
- “A girl I know on the subway. She sees me, says, ‘Hey chicken man!’ I give her a hug and kiss.”
- Lastly, he holds up a circular opaque object. Apparently, it’s a valuable ashtray. I tell him he should try to sell it, but he’d never part with such a priceless object.
When the train finally arrived, I wished him well…and sat half a car away[1. I just wanted to veg. Nothing against Dave!]. I’m pretty sure he struck up a random conversation with someone else.
If you ever meet Dave around LA, talk to him for a bit. (Or, listen to him talk.) It won’t hurt!