I just found out that I’ll finally be a college [undergrad] student again at Cal Poly Pomona starting in Winter 2011 (January). That’s about two months from now. Incredible!
Dumbfounded? Shocked? Yes, very.
When I got denied (SFW) for Fall 2010, I gave up on the Cal State University system. Even though I was a better student than 4-5 years ago, and I had my associate’s degree, CSU standards were too high due to the California budget. (That’s what I was told by an actual Citrus College counselor.)
It’s not fun to be haunted by a mediocre scholastic past.
My sights were set on applying at the University of La Verne.[1. Our drummer, James, currently attends there and will be graduating next year.] Since its a private university, and James said they have have a program for students over 25, I thought I’d have a better chance. I’d deal with the high cost of the student loans.
Fortunately for me, it looks like Cal Poly carried over my Fall 2010 application to Winter 2011. This has to be a miracle. I don’t see it any other way.
Thanks for the support, friends. Onward I go, while I try not to look my age. 🙂
If you haven’t been following my situation (not “The Situation“), here’s a summary:
- Fall 2000: Attend Cal Poly Pomona as a freshman
- Fall 2001: Transfer to Citrus College, due to a low GPA
- 2001-2007: Struggle with classes at Citrus College; took a couple classes at Pasadena City College
- June 2006: One less thing, where I probably volunteered about 30-40 hours/week since June 2000
- October 31, 2007: Received my Associate in Arts degree
- 2008: Break from school
- 2009: Spread out three difficult classes and one easy class over 2.5 semesters
- Plane Trigonometry – A; Principles of Economics (ECON101) – B; Managerial Accounting (ACCT102) – C; Basic Photography – B[2. I blame the research paper.]
- January-September 2010: Wait for Fall 2010 admission from Cal Poly Pomona or Cal State LA; waitlisted for Winter 2011 at Cal State LA in mid-August, denied from Cal Poly in September 3rd
- March 2010: I lost my job
- October 26, 2010: Received an email stating my admission for Winter 2011 (yay!)
Skimming through my past writings at my self-titled (non-active, but viewable) WordPress.com blog, I’ve been re-applying to Cal Poly Pomona since 2006.