Today, I chalk up another great year with Automattic. I’m still stoked to be here!
Attempts to resuscitate my first Thunderbolt Display failed, so I got another one. I stepped down as squad lead of Terms of Service to offer the opportunity to someone else. In mid July, I took off for a week due to burn out. (It was overdue.) Core Happiness was split into dedicated teams. The ToS squad “morphed” into team Justitia, and our response times are lower because we’ve grown by a few more Happiness Engineers. Our team also started experimenting with project weeks, where I was proud to be the first guinea pig. (It coincided with the series of posts, “A Day in the Life of a Happiness Engineer”.) We’re on our second round, and the idea is catching onto other Happiness teams. I’m into GTD more than before, and I’m still using Things.
Least importantly, I went as long as two months without a haircut. 🙂
Travel & Events
- San Francisco, CA — Terms of Service & Legal Meetup
- Budapest, Hungary — Write The Docs (conference)1, Happiness Engineer On–boarding Meetup
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico — Workflow Learnup
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico — Terms of Service Docs Meetup
- WordCamp Los Angeles
- Park City, UT — Grand Meetup
- San Francisco, CA — UserConf
- Puerto Rico — Justitia Team Meetup
I’m interested to see how shifting my work schedule will further reduce response times over the weekend, and how it’ll affect the quality of my free time with Amy. Starting on the 24th, instead of Monday thru Friday, I’ll work from Tuesday thru Saturday. The quieter Slack channels on the weekend should allow me to fully focus on smashing our queues. 🙂
I also wrote my goals for 2015 a few weeks ago, which include the following:
- Increase my comfort with DMCA and trademark notices. For example, I mentioned a fair use analysis the other day. Nailed it. ⭐
- Rotate with Team Cerberus for a couple of weeks to focus on WordPress.com–related questions. (Yay for regular tickets!) It’ll happen in March.
- Publish 144 posts on my blog in 2015, or average 12 posts per month.2 I’m on track so far. ⭐
- Publish three posts for WordPress.com Transparency Report News.
- Stick with iterating with Happiness Engineer on–boarding duties, which we call “D’OH” (Developing Our Happiness).
On that note, enjoy this clip of Kevin Nealon’s character in the movie, Happy Gilmore. This might be a stretch, but if you listen to his wacky message, it seems relevant to Happiness Engineers. 😉
Previously: Two Years as a Happiness Engineer