During my sabbatical last year, I completed one project where the end result was to close my Media Temple account. (It was a good run!) Going forward, I would be saving $22 per year. 💵
- I had a grandfathered (gs) Lite plan (shared hosting) at $8.50 per month, or $102 per year.
- My other site (bryanvillarin.com) is a now landing page. It was on my projects list to move it to WordPress.com.1
- RSS reader — I stopped using Fever2, and mainly use Reeder on my iPhone. After their trial, I kept my Feedbin subscription. $30 per year. I could tell that my feeds refresh much more quickly. Their site works well, too. 🙂
- Email — I switched to FastMail3 by following most of their fantastic migration information. $50 per year for the Standard plan. Free trial available. They have two-factor authentication support, the service feels quick, and push notifications work great (as well as my personal spam database).
I haven’t thought about this very much since I completed the move, which is probably a good thing. 😎
- Disclosure: I’m a Community Guardian at Automattic, parent company of WordPress.com. I also use WordPress.com for my personal sites. ↩
- I didn’t realize Shaun Inman suspended sales and support for Fever and Mint in December 2016. ↩
- This is my personal FastMail referral link. ↩
One thought on “Closed my Media Temple account”
You’ve convinced me! I was paying for Microsoft Office 365 but hardly ever use the Office apps and email with Outlook is slow and tedious. Your the second person that I’ve come across in the last three weeks to have written about Fastmail, so I canceled Microsoft and jumped into the pool! Nice that one month is free because Microsoft is charging me one month for early termination.