I disassembled, replaced the battery, and reassembled my iPhone. The instructions from iFixit were solid.
My phone powered up, I don’t see display issues, and Touch ID still works. Feels quicker, too. 💥
These two benchmarks — from Geekbench 4 — correspond to the old and new batteries, respectively. Higher is better.
- Single-core went from 816 to 1547. Increase (↑) of 89.583%.
- Multi-core went from 1329 to 2643. Increase (↑) of 98.871%.
With my iPhone not in Low Power Mode when I ran the test, is the large discrepancy due to:
- The old battery level being at 4%, and
- The new battery level at around 40%?
I’m…not sure. The battery charge needed to be very low before I dug into my iPhone.
With the new battery level at 7%, I ran another CPU benchmark.
The result? Single- and multi-core benchmarks were 1548 and 2674, respectively, which means it wasn’t a fluke. 🙌🏽
Have you seen a comparison posted elsewhere? Let me know in the comments!
With the new battery, I applied the adhesive on the wrong side, and I initially didn’t order an extra set. 🤦🏾♂️
To be safe, I ordered two sets of iPhone 6/6s/7 battery adhesive strips with the most expensive shipping. The estimated arrival date is Friday.
Until then, I need to handle my phone with extra care. I definitely won’t carry my phone in my pocket. 😱
Reason: With the bit of extra space not yet taken by adhesive, I need to prevent damage to the internal bits.
The silver lining
I work from home, and don’t need to venture out over the next couple of days. I can still use Authenticator for two-factor authentication.
Ultimately, Friday isn’t that far off. I’ll do my best to keep that in mind. 😬