I’ve been using the free Round Health app for awhile. It’s useful for prescriptions, supplements, or medicine that’s taken as needed (like Ibuprofen, cold, or flu medicine). I don’t need a dedicated pill container, and appreciate the refill reminder.
UPS (via Next Day Air) delivered the two sets of adhesive strips from iFixit. I’m glad it arrived in the morning. ☀️🛬
Before I started my second attempt, I read the instructions and watched the videos again. 🍿
Read: Part one
iFixit included three words on their box: “You got this.”
They were right. I worked in silence for less than an hour, all went well, and the battery now feels secure. 🔋
I also swapped the Pentalobe screws with Phillips screws from the included Liberation Kit (available with their iPhone 6 Replacement Battery Fix Kit).
I’m sort of ignoring the amount spent for a few reasons. 💸
- Privacy. I didn’t want to leave my device with a third party for several hours/days.
- I didn’t have a working backup iPhone to hold me over.
- I’m saving money by not upgrading to a newer iPhone, especially since my current one is fine.
- I can be confident to do the same for Amy’s iPhone 6…when she’s ready. 💪🏾
- Maybe I can do this — and replace the cracked screen (Amy did it) — on my previous iPhone 5s.
- Fun. I haven’t tinkered like this since I built PCs years ago. See image of Grandpa Simpson yelling at cloud. I’m…not going to link to it. I think you know it. 😉
On the day of your flight, you fast for 12-16 hours before breakfast time in your destination. […] Stick to the plan, avoid snacks (no more than a tiny handful of nuts, if you must), and you’ll be golden.
I found this while going through notes with the blog tag in Simplenote. Interesting concept. Maybe I’ll try it for my next team meetup.
I disassembled, replaced the battery, and reassembled my iPhone. The instructions from iFixit were solid.
My phone powered up, I don’t see display issues, and Touch ID still works. Feels quicker, too. 💥
These two benchmarks — from Geekbench 4 — correspond to the old and new batteries, respectively. Higher is better.
- Single-core went from 816 to 1547. Increase (↑) of 89.583%.
- Multi-core went from 1329 to 2643. Increase (↑) of 98.871%.
With my iPhone not in Low Power Mode when I ran the test, is the large discrepancy due to:
- The old battery level being at 4%, and
- The new battery level at around 40%?
I’m…not sure. The battery charge needed to be very low1 before I dug into my iPhone.
With the new battery level at 7%, I ran another CPU benchmark.
The result? Single- and multi-core benchmarks were 1548 and 2674, respectively, which means it wasn’t a fluke. 🙌🏽
Have you seen a comparison posted elsewhere? Let me know in the comments!
With the new battery, I applied the adhesive on the wrong side, and I initially didn’t order an extra set. 🤦🏾♂️
To be safe, I ordered two sets of iPhone 6/6s/7 battery adhesive strips with the most expensive shipping. The estimated arrival date is Friday.
Until then, I need to handle my phone with extra care. I definitely won’t carry my phone in my pocket. 😱
Reason: With the bit of extra space not yet taken by adhesive, I need to prevent damage to the internal bits.
The silver lining
Ultimately, Friday isn’t that far off. I’ll do my best to keep that in mind. 😬
I’m a year older, and I had a mellow, enjoyable birthday.
Afterwards, I met Amy in the waiting room, then we walked to Conrad’s for brunch.
Amy also cooked an early dinner for us. I think it’s called a Spicy Buddha Bowl. 😋
For dessert, we went to Fosselman’s Ice Cream (also my first time). I went with a mocha almond fudge shake. It was tasty!
Our last stop was at Sprouts for some groceries, before requesting a Lyft driver to take us home.
Thanks for the nice time, Amy! ❤️
- Thanks to Nico for letting me get started early! He gave me about ten more minutes in the room because I arrived early, and was one of the first sessions of the day. ↩
- Last year, I went to Just Float for my first time. They didn’t have a foam ring, and my neck was sore. I also had to treat the water in my ears. Overall, I still enjoyed the experience. ↩
- It’s expiring on Netflix. I’ve seen it before. ↩
Watched the first (standalone) episode from season 4 of Black Mirror on Netflix. It was excellent. 👍🏽
P.S. Happy new year, and hello! 😊
Last November, I wrote:
Since then, I add songs, albums, or playlists in Apple Music to my library before I start listening.